BANG! FESTIVAL: TRAVELLING ARTS FESTIVAL BRUSSELS
Due to the construction work currently being undertaken, KultuurKaffee has opted for a nomadic existence and, together with a guest curator, assembles twice a year a multidisciplinary program of events at various locations dotted around the city of Brussels.
During 6 weeks our guest curator works around a specific theme. He or she chooses different artists from several artistic fields to create and put together an impressive line up. Each time we search for a unique location in the heart of Brussels that harmonizes with the philosophy of the program.
This spring artist and musician Joris Van De Moortel will be the guest curator of BANG! festival #5.
THEME: ’12 PROVERBS ON PLATES ’
Joris Van De Moortel will bring an ode to painter Pieter Paul Bruegel De Oude and his allegoric painting "12 proverbs" (1558-1660). Every evening will highlight one of the twelve proverbs with sound art and performances.
- To hide with a blue hooded cloak
- It is ill fishing behind the net
- To beat one's head against the wall
- To "shoot" the moon
- To fall between two stools
- To hang the bell about the cat's neck
- To trim one's sails to the wind
- To carry fire in one hand and water in the other
- Drink and dice ruins wealth and fame
- To be like the dog in the manger
- To cast pearls before swine
- When the steed is stolen, the stable-door is locked
LOCATION: BEGIJNHOFKERK BRUSSELS
BANG! take place for 6 weeks at the Begijnhofkerk Brussels. This gothic church, constructed in the 17th century, is located in the heart of Brussels between the old fish market (Saint-Catherine) and Square De Brouckère.